P0442 Error Code, Causes and Repairs
EVAP and the P0442 code:
The (EVAP) emission control system is responsible to stop or reduce the motor vehicle emissions which largely consist of vapors originating from the fuel system.
Most of the fuel exists in its original form in the fuel tank, while some of it is stored in the form of vapors directed to charcoal canister through hoses. When the engine is started, the vapors are allowed to enter the engine through a control valve which stops and allow the vapors intake.
P0442 error code
The code P0442 represents that there may be a leak in the vehicle’s EVAP control system. Particularly, it indicates a tiny leak that can be caused by a hole as slight as 0.02” in radius.
The problem with such a leak is that it does not have a prominent effect upfront. Neither the engine nor the drivability is affected by such a minor leak instantly. However, it does hurt badly in long run.
Causes behind leaks in EVAP
There are more than one reason that may cause a leak. Some of the common reasons behind a leak include, unfastened or loosely placed gas cap that is allowing some gas to leak out, a replacement gas cap that is not compliant with the standards required for your vehicle or is just not made for your gas outlet, minor leakage in fuel hose or fuel vapor tube, broken or damaged seal providing vapors a tiny way out of the EVAP system or any other small link in the fuel system.
Causes behind the P0442 code
Similarly, there is a list of instances that may result into the p0442 error code. Common problems that generate p0442 may be a damaged or broken gas cap, faulty fuel tank, broken fuel tank seal, misplaced valve, pressure sensor malfunction, flawed leak mechanism system, or any other defective or damaged components in the leak detection system or EVAP systems.
Mistakes while diagnosing the cause
Despite the fact that it is a common error, due to a list of reasons that can cause the p0442 error makes it confusing for the drivers to locate and diagnose the error correctly. Generally, people identify the reason behind the error code end up with conclusions such as fault in fuel cap, purge valve or vent valve in EVAP.
How to eliminate the P0442
The good news for drivers is that there are more than a couple of repairs to fall back on in case of a p0442 error code. The most obvious and usually effective repair is to reinstall the gas caps, clean the error codes and go for a long drive to see if the error occurs again.
If the error persists, then try replacing the gas cap with a new one and see if you get rid of it now. In case error still show up, give a thorough look to your EVAP system to find any cuts, holes, damage, or leaks
Incoming search terms:
- po442 engine code (83)
- OBD2 code P0442 (20)
- P0442 error code (5)
- Chevy Engine Code P0442 (4)
- causes of p0442 2001 blazer (2)
- show me where the emission vapor canister is located on a 2001 pontiac grand prix (2)
- 2003 pontiac grand am evap control (2)
- 2003 pontiac grand am code 440 (2)
- 2002 pontiac grand prix code p0442 (2)
- what cause p0442 impala (2)
- what code for an evap leak for a 2001 pontiac (2)
- what would an evap code be caused from (2)
- 2001 grand am evap codes (2)
- yhs-ddc_bd (1)
- P0442 code grand am gt (1)
- P0442 Code EVAP System (1)
- p0442 2006 pontiac grand prix (1)
- p04401 pontiac grand am (1)
- p0440 grand prix fuel tank pressure sensor (1)
- p0440 code in a 2000grand prix se (1)
- p0440 (1)
- odb code 440 2002 pontiac grand am (1)
- p0449 code pontiac aztek 2002 location (1)
- po442 code pontiac grand prix (1)
- trouble codes p0442 (1)
- trouble codes for 2002 aztec (1)
- trouble code 0442 grand am (1)
- Reason for p0440 (1)
- will a po440 code cause a vehicle to stall (1)
- pontiac grand am gas cap code (1)
- pontiac g6 p0442 (1)
- Pontiac code P0440 (1)
- will code p0442 cause a 2005 g6 3 5L to stall when starting (1)
- ppo442 (1)
- obd2 trouble code po442 (1)
- obd2 0442 (1)
- codigoP0442 (1)
- codigo ppo442 error auto (1)
- 01 grand am evap leak (1)
- can a p0442 code stop a 99 blazer from stating (1)